Chickpeas are loaded with fibre and protein. Ratatouille is a classic veggie stew with eggplant or zucchini, peppers and tomatoes. As a dietitian I love this quick and easy way to prepare chickpeas and veggies. It’s perfect for meal prep and easy weeknight dinners.
Eat as a side dish or serve over whole grains or pasta.
- Vegan and Vegetarian
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 – 4 servings
- Baking Sheet
- 1 medium Eggplant (about 2 cups) Cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Bell Pepper Diced into 1- inch pieces
- 1/2 Cooking Onion Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Divided
- 1 can Cherry Tomatoes (398 ml)
- 1/2 can Chickpeas (270 ml) Drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil Chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the eggplant and bell peppers on the baking sheet and brush with 1 TBSP olive oil (optional) and season with black pepper and oregano.
- Toss to coat, and then bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion for 1 minute then stir in the canned tomatoes and chickpeas. Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Add the baked eggplant and peppers from the oven. Stir in the basil and season to taste.
- Serve on its own or with cooked whole grain pasta or quinoa or millet.
- You can substitute zucchini for eggplant or use a mixture of both
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.