This tasty and hearty tomato soup is an all time favourite that you can put together in just 5 minutes. It’s also budget friendly & nutritious providing veggies & protein. Toss a few pantry staples into a pot, cook for 30 min over a stove and enjoy.
Tasty Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 can tomatoes 28 oz/ 780 ml
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained & rinsed 19 oz / 540 ml
- .25 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil or oregano
- 2 cups water or low sodium broth
- salt to taste
- In a pot, combine oil, onion, garlic and sauté for 3-5 min
- Add the large can of tomatoes & rinsed can of beans.
- Add dried herbs, pepper, water or broth and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Kitchen & Nutrition Notes:
- White kidney beans are also called Cannellini beans are large white beans . They are popular in Italian cuisine, particularly in Tuscan dishes. Beans are inexpensive and a great way to boost plant based protein and fibre.
- Tomatoes’ red pigment comes from lycopene which has antioxidant properties. Foods rich in the red pigment lycopene like tomatoes, have been shown to protect against some kinds of cancer.