A hearty side dish of wholesome brussels sprouts and carrots in a honey mustard glaze topped with nuts and optional cheese. Recipe inspired by Foodland Ontario and modified by Registered Dietitian and professional Home Economist to suit vegetarian and vegan dietary preferences.
Brussels Sprouts and Carrot Bake
- 1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed 680g
- 2 Large carrots chopped 150g
- 1 Onion, chopped 150g
- 1/4 tsp Hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5ml`
- Pinch each pepper and salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup Walnuts, chopped 70g
- 1/2 cup Grated Swiss or Mozzarella cheese (optional – omit for Vegan version)
- Trim Brussels sprouts & wash well. Cut carrots into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- In a large oven proof pot of simmering water, cook Brussels sprouts and carrots for 3-5 minutes or until desired tenderness. Drain well and set aside.
- Chop onion.
- To the pot, add 1 tsp vegetable oil and sautee onions till softened and very light golden brown – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey, mustard, pepper and salt (if using)
- Add reserved Brussels sprouts and carrots; toss to coat well.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and grated cheese (if using). Bake on middle rack of 400°F (200°C) oven for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts* per serving (190 g)
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
- Source of 21 vitamins and minerals.