Makes 4 servings Prep time 10 min. Cook time 10 min.
Bountiful zucchini is shredded and caramelized into a tasty pasta sauce with a little bit of milk and cheese. This pasta takes just minutes to make and uses the simplest ingredients including lots of zucchini. Bonus? It’s a recipe full of veggies and kid approved.
Serving Idea: Serve with your favourite protein such as lean chicken, fish or tofu.
Zucchini Sauce with Pasta
- 3 cups dried penne pasta 250g
- 1 lb zucchini (about 2-3 medium) trimmed and shredded or grated
- 1 cup large onion grated 160g
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15ml
- 1/2 cup 2% Milk 125ml
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- pinch grated nutmeg (optional)
- few leaves basil, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Bring to boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions. Just before draining, reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of the pasta cooking water. Drain.
- Shred or grate the onion and the zucchini.
- In a deep large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add the shredded zucchini and onion. Stir and sauté until wilted (about 5 min). Cover the pan and sauté for a few more minutes until soft.
- Stir in the milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in the parmesan cheese, black pepper, nutmeg (if using) and salt to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the zucchini sauce. Add 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water (or more if need) to thin the sauce. Add the basil and sprinkle with hot pepper flakes (if using).
- Transfer to a bowl, serve and enjoy!