Boost your snack with berries!
Are you snacking more often? You’re not alone! Canadians love their snacks, and many would like to pick healthier options between meals. You can boost your nutrient intake by snacking on colorful fresh berries including strawberries. Did you know California strawberries are picked in peak season and readily available in grocery stores? Strawberries are a tasty, healthy, convenient snack any time of day and you can also use them to bring on a burst of flavour in your snacks and meals. Try this tasty, easy arugula and strawberry salad and enjoy it at home or carry it with you for eating on the go.
Serves 2 (110 calorie snacks)
This tasty salad is chef inspired and dietitian approved! Layers of fresh greens like Arugula, fresh juicy strawberries, sharp cheese topped with tangy sweet vinaigrette dressing make it a staple in my menu.
Here is how I like to put it together:
Tasty Arugula and Strawberry Salad
- 3 cups Arugula
- 8 Strawberries halved
- 1/4 cup Red onion slices
- 2 tbsp Sharp cheese shredded to taste cheddar or parmesan
- 3 tbsp Cider or balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small measuring cup or jar with a lid, combine oil, vinegar, water, mustard and black pepper. Mix well.
- Makes about 6 Tbsp (90 mL)