Do you like eating your food from a bowl sometimes? Bowl-centric menus are one of the hottest trends in restaurants and home-cooks also love filling bowls with layers of veggies and grains. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is an ancient grain from South America that is considered a complete protein. This recipe is inspired from Dietitians of Canada’s website, where it has been one of the most popular recipes. It’s simply prepared with vegetables you have on hand and the quinoa can be cooked a day ahead and kept in the fridge. Eating it out of a bowl will add to your enjoyment.
Quinoa Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup Quinoa, well rinsed and drained 250 mL
- 2 cups Cold water 500 mL
- 2 Tomatoes medium, chopped
- 2 Large sprigs of parsley (leaves only), chopped
- ½ English Cucumber chopped
- ½ Red or Green bell peppers chopped 125 mL
- 1 cup Fresh Baby Arugula
- 3 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil 45 mL
- 2 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice 30 mL
- Hot pepper flakes (optional) 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp Dried basil or oregano (optional) 2 mL
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until the white germ separates from the seed. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove lid, let cool and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomatoes, parsley, cucumber, bell peppers and arugula. Stir in cooled quinoa.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, hot pepper flakes (if using), salt, pepper and basil (if using).
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 224 Cals, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrate: 28 g, Fibre: 4 g, Sodium: 100 mg Calcium: 30 mg