I love making this hardy soup on a weekend afternoon when it can simmer for over an hour. It makes a terrific meal and is great for lunches or a 2nd meal during the week. The health boost comes from pulses (split peas), whole grains such as barley and the veggies of course. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onions diced
- 1/2 cup of split peas (mix up green, red and yellow)
- ¼ cup rice
- ¼ cup pearl barley
- 28 oz (796) ml can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium broth
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Chop onion and saute in 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Add split peas, rice and pearl barley, saute for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes and broth, stir well
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 70 minutes. (Stir occasionally, add a cup of water if you prefer more broth in your soup.)
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve.