If you find it hard to eat well at work, you’re not alone. Research from an Ipsos Reid poll conducted for Dietitians of Canada finds that 45% of Canadians say that eating healthy meals and snacks while at work is challenging. As Registered Dietitians and nutrition experts, we know first hand the many benefits of eating well at work:
- gives you energy to be stay focused and meet your deadlines
- boosts your concentration and productivity
- protects you from chronic health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and even dental disease.
Here’s what you can do to improve your eating habits at work:
- Load up of vegetables and fruit. Pack your own fruit and veggie snacks so you’re not tempted by a vending machine or cafeteria.
- Bring healthy snacks for meetings. Instead of donuts and muffins, offer vegetables and fruit more often and have some whole grain products available.
- Bring your own lunch to work instead of eating at the fast food court. Packing your lunch is both a healthy and saves you money. Also, chances are, the portion sizes you pack are more reasonable!
- Satisfy your thirst with water. At meetings serve plain water in pitchers. For flavour boost add lemon, lime or cucumbers. Keep a water bottle on your desk.
- Choose to be active. Have a walking meeting around the block or have an activity break instead of a coffee break. Active living is not only healthy but also stimulates creativity!
Keep it going! Workplace wellness and nutrition programs are an investment in your employees’ health and well-being! We can help you build a workplace nutrition program and offer engaging, interactive seminars that will leave a lasting impression and inspire you towards your best health! Contact us to get started!
Let us know if you’d like some help with adding some punch to your lunch!