Stuffed Eggplant – Italian style
Want to eat healthy Mediterranean style? Try this tasty stuffed eggplant dish. Wholesome ingredients, with a little bit of olive oil pack in lots of nutrients with a very high source of fibre to boot. If you took the pledge to make veggies #HalfYourPlate – this dish is for you.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
Easy. Serves 4
- 2 eggplants
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup pitted black or green olives, chopped
- 1 cup of spinach leaves chopped
- handful basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 450 F
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, leaving the stem intact. Use a small knife, cut a border inside each aubergine about 1 inch (2 cm). Using a teaspoon, scoop out the eggplant flesh, so that you have 4 shells. Brush these with a little of the olive oil, place on a baking sheet. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 mins.
- Chop the eggplant flesh you scooped out and place to one side. Chop onion and other veggies.
- Add the remaining (1 tbsp.) olive oil to a non-stick pot. Cook the onion and cook until soft. Add the chopped eggplant flesh and cook through. Add in the chopped garlic and halved cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 mins more. Stir in olives, basil and seasoning.
- When the eggplant shells are tender, remove from the oven and reduce heat to 400F. Pile stuffing into shells and sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Bake for 5-10 min until the cheese is gooey and melted
Enjoy – #HalfYourPlate is veggies!
Nutrient Analysis per serving
Calories: 250; Total fat: 15 g; Carbohydrates: 22g; Sugar: 9 g; Fibre 10 g; Sodium: 390 mg; Protein: 11 g
Very high source of fibre Canada’s Food Guide Servings: Vegetables 6.5, Milk and Alternatives 0.6
Adapted by Lucia Weiler RD, from bbcgoodfood.com